Peanut butter and chocolate brownies. The most decadent and unbeatable indulgence. To make a nutritious version of this fabulously rich snack, I came up with this raw, vegan mixture that sets easily in the fridge and is more suited to everyday snacking, yet is filling and satisfying for those sweet tooth moments.
Makes about 20 small brownies
1 cup peanuts
1 cup cashews
1 1/2 cups dates
2 tbsp raw cacao
1 tbsp raw peanut butter
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup raw almonds, roughly chopped
1. Line a small rectangular dish with baking parchment.
2. In a food processor, chop the cashews and peanuts until they are very fine.
3. Stir in the peanut butter, salt and cacao and mix for a few seconds.
4. One by one, add the dates until the mixture starts to be cohesive and stick together. This should take about 1 1/2 cup of dates but you might have to add one or two additional dates depending on the type of dates and their moistness.
5. Tip the mixture into the lined dish and smooth with the back of a spoon until flat and even.
6. Add the chopped almonds over the top of the brownies and press gently with the back of a spoon.
7. Leave the brownies to set in the fridge for a few hours (or overnight) before cutting them into squares and enjoying.