A simple, citrussy fresh and light cake made with oranges, ground almonds and eggs. This is a great cake to dish up after a heavy meal. It looks stunning, surprises in flavour and no one will guess it is gluten free and sugar free.
Nigella Lawson came up with this cake and I have adapted it to suit the way we like to eat in our household. Try it, I am sure you´ll love it.
Makes 1 cake
2 large oranges
2 tsp baking powder
300 gram ground almonds
50 gram raw cacao
4 tbsp honey
1. Wash the oranges and place them in a large pan with water.
2. Boil for about 2 hours, until the oranges are soft.
3. Cut the oranges in quarters and set aside to cool down.
4. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
5. Line the base of a springform with baking paper and grease with some coconut oil.
6. Once the oranges have cooled down, add these with the ground almonds, the baking powder, the honey and the cacao to a food processor.
7. Pulse until combined.
8. With the food processor running on low speed, add the eggs one by one until a cohesive cake mixture forms.
9. Pour the cake mixture into the lined springform.
10. Bake in the middle of the oven for an hour. Check after half an hour and 45 minutes to ensure the top is not getting too dark and cover with a strip of foil to protect if it is.
11. Leave to cool down completely in the tin before removing it and slicing the cake.