Asparagus are not everyone’s cup of tea. When in season and prepared well, I do like the occasional portion of them though. Locally, there are specific menus completely devoted to this vegetable and numerous pop up stores selling a wide variety of them so fresh ones are easy to come by.
Pairing them with a little cheese and egg, this makes for an excellent light dinner or lunch. Or use as a side dish with a little baked or poached salmon on a warm summer’s day.
Makes 2 large portions
1 bunch asparagus, trimmed
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
1 hard-boiled egg, finely diced
100 gram mozzarella finely diced
1 slice of soft cheese (e.g Camembert) finely diced
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
2. Trim the asparagus and wash them thoroughly.
3. Divide the asparagus over a large baking tray lined with baking parchment.
4. Drizzle with the olive oil and toss the asparagus lightly to coat them.
5. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes until tender.
6. In the meantime, prepare a hardboiled egg and finely chop once cooled down slightly.
7. Finely chop the cheeses and sprinkle over the top of the asparagus along with the egg.
8. Turn down the oven to 160 degrees and bake for another 5 minutes.
9. Divide over plates and serve with a green salad.