Perfectly poached eggs are one of the best things in the world. Soft and gooey and runny, they go well with Japanese Ramen dishes that I love to make and are equally delicious on their own, with some veggies or bread.
A few months ago, I got these silicon egg poacher aides from a brand called Cuisipro. They are absolutely fabulous. You put a drop of oil in them, stick them in a pan of boiling water, put an egg in et voila – perfectly poached eggs.
For these eggs, I added a little Tabasco while they were poaching to infuse additional flavour. If I am cooking a Japanese noodle dish, I actually poach the eggs in the broth, which makes them even more delicious. I do love eggs, delicious, nutritious and versatile!
Makes 1 portion
Splash of vinegar
1/2 an avocado
Handful of rucola leaves
1 slice of spelt bread
1. Bring a pan of water to the boil with a splash of vinegar.
2. Add a few drops of oil to the egg poacher and position it in the boiling pot.
3. Add the egg and the Tabasco.
4. Leave to boil for some 7 minutes, until the egg is perfectly runny (wait a little longer if you like your yolk firmer).
5. In the meantime, toast the slice of spelt bread, slice the avocado and wash the rucola leaves.
6. Arrange the avocado and rucola on the slice of toast.
7. Take the egg out of the pan and place it on the avocado.
8. Use Tabasco and salt to taste and there you go, a quick and nutritious meal for one!